Thursday, April 30, 2009

Four To Go

After Monday's game I've become a figure of pity whenever the subject of football comes up at work. "You never know, you might stay up," the Man Utd fan offered in consolation. "I can't see Hull winning again and the Scousers have dropped a few points at home."
"I don't know," laughed the Villa supporter from the queue for last-minute photocopies, "even Owen thinks you'll get stuffed."
"Yeah, well if we do he'll probably end up playing for you next season," I replied. His smile disappeared. "I fucking hope not."

6 comments:

Garry Nixon said...

It's the pity I can't abide.

Who knows, though? We might get a Roy of The Rovers end to the season.

Or something.

MaryKwizMiz said...

Even though I'm slowly coming to terms with the idea of relegation (as a Hansa fan, the concept is not exactly novel) it's the pity that annoys me like ****.
Especially coming from people who really mean it. How do you handle Rovers fans honestly feeling sorry for you?!!?

Bryan said...

The only way I can console myself is by being grateful I wasn’t born 6 miles to the South.

MaryKwizMiz said...

the old pre- and post-macth tune "Could have been born a Makem" doesn't cheer me up as much anymore as it used to ... to think that we most likely will go down while they might stay up sticks in my throat...

Michael said...

Worse still, it'll be us that keeps them up.

At least next season can't be any worse. Can it?

MaryKwizMiz said...

I'm not optimistic enough at the moment to answer that question...