Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Hadrian's Wall

Not wanting to miss out on the unusual correlation of long holiday and fine weather I bought an Explorer North East ticket for £7 and took the 9.45 bus from Newcastle to Greenhead, a miniscule village on the very western edge of Northumberland. I joined Hadrian's Wall by the Roman Army Museum, a few hundred metres north of the bus stop, then followed the dips and folds of the countryside past Walltown Quarry and Crags, abandoned milecastles and Cawfields Lake all the way to Steel Rigg. Turning south off the wall at Once Brewed, I wandered the twisting minor roads near Vindolanda as far as Bardon Mill, arriving four hours and ten miles after my walk had begun. From there I took the bus to Hexham, enjoying the last of the sun in a park by the abbey before coming back home.

No comments: