Saturday, February 03, 2007

Spring In The Air

This morning brought a final email from Katka: "You're poor" was all it said. I assume she means emotionally, though I laughed remembering that one of her main reasons for leaving was that I didn't make enough money to buy a car. "I'm materialistic, sorry," she said, listening to music on a new £250 mobile phone. It seems a fitting end, words without meaning, weakness mistaken for strength. In her head she's always had someone else to blame - her parents, her step-father; she never learnt that sometimes you just have to hold your hands up.

So moving on, a more positive image for a sunny Saturday morning. The daffodils cost 50p from a supermarket at the end of last spring. I noticed them yesterday, flowering in an old wheelbarrow in a sheltered part of the back garden.

No comments: