Saturday, February 17, 2007

The Claim

There are precious few absolute truths left in the modern world, but the Inland Revenue is proof that organisations which demand the quickest payment of money owed to them are always and without exception the slowest to act when the process is reversed. So far it has taken four months and as many letters for me to get a simple £100 refund, and I doubt I'm any closer to receiving the cheque than I was when I started. I've filled in two sets of forms for two different tax offices, provided copies of payslips from Japan to prove that I'd already paid tax on my earnings there, and then converted everything from yen into pounds because the witless fools couldn't manage it themselves.

This morning I sent off another letter. God only knows what I'll get back this time.

No comments: