Sunday, December 16, 2007

History Lessons

"When I refused to provide any information, the guards grabbed me and dragged me out of his office. After taking me down into the hallway they laid me out on a stretcher and strapped me on. The stretcher was then stood on end with my head almost touching the floor and my feet in the air. They then began pouring water over my face and at times it was impossible for me to breathe without sucking in water. The torture continued and continued."

The testimony of John Henry Burton, an American witness at the Yokohama War Crimes Tribunal. His torturer, a Japanese officer named Yukio Asano, was sentenced to 15 years hard labour on charges that included the use of waterboarding described above, an interrogation technique whose use Dick Cheney calls a "no-brainer" - "We don't torture. That's not what we're involved in."

Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.
Two and two makes five.

No comments: