Thursday, May 03, 2007

Election Day

So, who gets my vote?

The incumbent is Labour's Maisie Stewart, whose glossy leaflet is crammed full of bland abstractions and questionable statistics spun like a Shane Warne googly - if 93% of streets in this ward really are litter free, then it's just my luck to live slap bang in the middle of the 7% that aren't. Her photo, obviously meant to radiate warmth and matriarchal concern, exudes nothing but smug complacency to me: I've always been here; I always will be here.

Or do I go for Anita Campbell, the Independent - Vote for a Person not a Party - candidate? Her campaign leaflet tells me very little that I want to know about her and everything I already know about Labour. I can't help thinking the Independents are overplaying their hand here: dissatisfied voters are already clear about why they're not voting Labour, what we haven't yet decided is why that should translate into a vote for anyone else. Do double negatives attract votes, or just increase voter apathy? Should I just scrawl illegibe nonsense over the whole paper?

Enough of the ruminations. Anita Campbell it is.

No comments: