Thursday, June 15, 2006

Jobless in Jarrow

For the next thirteen days I am happily unemployed. Yesterday was my last day at the Orwellian sounding NHS Business Services Authority. No more will I be dispatching European Health Insurance Cards or Prescription Pre-Payment Certificates for 30p an hour above the minimum wage. No more sitting in a stuffy office for seven and a half hours a day. Next stop China, and back to the classroom.

To be honest, I've quite enjoyed the last five months. The money was crap and the work boring, but I could stroll along the river at lunch time and it was relaxing to do a job where I didn't constantly have to think on my feet (literally). But enough was enough.

After work I went to the pub with Katka, then onto the theatre to see Northern Broadsides' energetic, Yorkshire accented production of Henry IV. Best of all, the theatre was less than half full so we sat in the upper gallery despite having only paid a fiver each for the cheap seats way up above.

No comments: