Sunday, July 11, 2010

Everyday Odessa: Statues

Ukraine wouldn't be Ukraine without a queue of people waiting to be photographed in front of, on, draped provocatively across, or simply standing beside a bronze statue. In Odessa, the City Gardens, where you'll find not one but two lions, a wacky sportsman on a staircase, a dining room chair and Bob Paisley reclining on a park bench, is the place to head for yet more of those unforgettable "And here's me with an inanimate object" shots.


Failing that, there's always Pushkin.

6 comments:

drawjerky said...

'Bob Paisley reclining on a park bench'...?I'll need a photo of that please...

Michael said...

Your (Bob Paisley related) wish is my command.

I tried get a picture from the front but, as you can see, he was a bit busy at the time.

drawjerky said...

Thanks for that, tho I'd be hard pushed to recognise that as BP. We are talking about BP, ex Liverpool manager? and if so why on earth is there a statue of him in Odessa?

Michael said...

Haha, crossed wires. It's actually a Soviet comedian whose name I spent twenty minutes of my life trying - and failing - to find.

There definitely should be a statue of Paisley - but in Hetton-le-Hole, not Odessa.

drawjerky said...

a soviet comedian?? called Bob Paisley???? WTF.. I need a link to verify this. I had a quick google but too many birthday drinks to sustain motivation..
And what kind of name is BP for a soviet?? How many soviet Bob's / Robert's do you know?

On another note... did you get the book? read/like it?

Michael said...

Not yet. It's waiting for me back in England.

And no Soviet Roberts, I'm afraid. There was once a famous Joe, but his surname was Stalin, not Fagan.