Saturday, February 27, 2010

The Teaching Week

After his students, a TEFL teacher’s biggest complaint is always his schedule. Split shifts, early starts, too much marking, late finishes, weekend work, too many classes, different levels. So far, although I’m exactly on my maximum number of weekly teaching hours at 24, I don’t have much to complain about here. I only work Monday to Friday, do one morning class a week, and have at least two groups at each of the three different levels I teach, meaning I can re-use most of my lesson plans. I wasn’t always so lucky: in my second job in Korea, I had six forty-minute classes with six different groups of teenagers every afternoon – and just thirty minutes after a quick lunch and three hours of six-year-olds in the morning to prepare for them all. I asked once if there was a syllabus and was pointed to a piece of paper which said, Lesson One: Page 1 and 2. The extra resources took up less than half a shelf.

As I remember, we mainly played games.

No comments: