Saturday, September 22, 2007

When The Boat Comes In

Leaving North Shields just before eight, we motored out to sea past The Groyne and Tynemouth Pier while tying up our Mackerel hooks and cracking open the beers.

Casting off a few hundred metres from the mouth of the Tyne, I caught four Mackerel before the line had even hit the sea bed, and nine more in the next two reels. We cut most of them up as bait for the bigger fish further out.

After many tries, my first non-Mackerel was this Coal fish, from a WWII wreck a mile or so off St Mary's Island, which I almost lost when my line got snagged as I reeled it up from under the boat.

The beady-eyed Coal fish and my second catch, a long-bodied Ling lying across the top.

We got as far up the coast as Newbiggin, then came back by the offshore wind turbines at Blyth. In towards land, near Seaton Delaval beach, I hooked a Haddock and a few more Mackerel.

No comments: