Monday, October 16, 2006

Monday

I've been working at Newcastle College for almost a month now, checking class registers, tracking down marks and updating the internal database. In ordinary circumstances this would be a routine and mundane task, but at the start of term, with timetables, students and classrooms constantly changing, I often feel more like an archaeologist than an administrator, pouring over fragmentary bits of information that are almost as difficult to piece back together as a smashed Etruscan vase. Today was especially hard, partly because it was Monday, but mainly because we were three people down. I worked against the clock all day and came home with a dull ache in my left shoulder that not so very long ago Katka would have massaged out of me right away. It's always the things that you took for granted that you end up missing the most.

The weekend was obscured by the shadow of that relationship; I felt the extent to which I'd grown accustomed to living with someone, sharing touches and feelings, knowing that they're always there. On the occasions when my shoulder isn't killing me, I feel the loss of those things rather than the absence of Katka herself, though perhaps the two are really bound together. Fortunately, both can be replaced.

1 comment:

paixful and all said...

just checking in to say Hello again :) Sounds like you have an interesting job! If its new, maybe you will/have met some new friends?! Its nice to have the distraction sometimes, but so hard to also deal with the little things, like a kink that could be massaged out, that seem to surface randomly. My ex has started to seem unhappy with his girlfriend, one of the ones he cheated on me with. I wonder what they think when they are doing it - expecting a long term perfect relationship?!

On a side note, you live in and travel to beautiful areas...I'd love to travel to see some of the places you have photos of!